Another classic we all love. The actual name in Greek is spanakotyropita, but yeah, it’s ok, spinach pie will do. Based on veg, feta cheese and a crispy homemade pie dough that will make you crave for more. Just make sure you select a good quality feta, as that is what makes all the difference. I used a spicy one from northern Greece and also added some black sesame seeds. While cooking the filling, you’ll notice that the crushed feta will almost melt – almost disappear in the mixture and this is what we’re going for here. Spinach pie usually consists big (or smaller) chunks of feta, but I’m more into this well-combined mixture.
Ingredients makes one 33x23cm pie
- Pie dough, see here
- 700gr. spinach leaves
- 500gr. feta cheese
- 2 medium sized leeks
- 1 white onion
- 2 scallions
- 2 eggs
- A handful of dill
- salt and pepper
- A handful of black sesame seeds
- Olive oil
- Finely chop all the onions and set aside.
- In a large pan or pot, heat up some olive oil and toss in the spinach. After about 10 minutes, add the the leek, onion and scallions.
- Crush the cheese with a fork and add it to the pan when the onions are soften. Mix well and cook until the cheese has been well incorporated to the mixture.
- Add the dill and the sesame seeds and season with salt and pepper, be careful with the salt as feta is rather salty anyways.
- Set aside and let it cool down before adding it to the tray. In the meantime, add the eggs and mix well.
- Preheat the oven, 170ºC air.
- Separate the dough in two pieces, one a bit bigger than the other (the base) and start rolling.
- Carefully place the dough in the baking pan.
- Add the filling, cover the top with the rolled out dough, brush with olive oil and sprinkle some sesame seeds on top. Cut the pie in pieces.
- Bake for about 1 hour, until it starts getting golden-brown.
- Let it cool down for about 10 minutes and serve.
Spanakopita, the famous Greek Spinach Pie