For the soup
- 2kg. tomatoes or big plum tomatoes
- 8 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 big onion
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 4 teaspoons sugar (preferably brown)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 500ml. chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons cream milk
- salt and pepper
For the parmesan crisp
- Grated parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 160°C degrees.
- Cover the baking pan with a baking sheet and aluminum foil on top of it (makes for easier clean up).
- Cut the tomatoes lengthwise and arrange them in the baking pan.
- Drizzle 4 tablespoons of olive oil on the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 1 hour.
- Remove the baking pan from the oven. When tomatoes cool down a bit, peel the garlic cloves.
- Chop the onion (preferably in the mixer).
- Cook the onion in 2 tablespoons of olive oil for a few minutes in a large pot, then add the oregano, sugar and butter. Stir well until the onion is brown.
- Prepare the chicken stock (one cube in 500ml. of boiling water).
- Add the tomatoes, the garlic and the chicken stock and let them cook covered for 20 minutes in medium heat. Stir occasionally.
- Place an immersion blender into the pot and puree the soup. If you don’t have one, use the mixer (you’ll have to repeat a few times). Make sure the soup has no chunks left and it is smooth and creamy.
- Pour the soup back into the pot add the cream milk and stir well.
The parmesan crisps
- Preheat the oven to 180 C degrees.
- Place a greaseproof paper on a shallow baking dish.
- Take a biscuit cutter and fill it up with parmesan. Press down the cheese and shape it. Repeat.
- Bake until parmesan melts.
- Remove from the oven, let them cool down a bit and lift them gently with a spatula.
Serve the soup and gently place one crisp on top.
Tomato soup with parmesan crisp