Here’s an alcohol free saffron risotto with flavourful porcini and a secret ingredient!
Remember to always keep and use the water you soaked the porcini in. It adds flavour and saves money. Just filter it to remove the dirt and it’s ready to use.
- 150gr. arborio rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 medium button mushrooms, thinly sliced, stems removed
- A handful dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 pinches saffron
- 1tsp saffron powder (optional, for a brighter yellow-orange colour)
- 70gr. grated parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 2tbsp butter
- 700gr. vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
- Let the porcini soak for 20 minutes in lukewarm water. Filter and reserve the water.
- In a large pan under medium-high temp, melt the butter, sizzle the onions for a couple of minutes,
- Add the rice, the button mushrooms and the porcini and stir well for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the porcini water, saffron stems and powder and stir well to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper, lower heat to medium and start adding the veg stock in ladles. Stir often. This should take about 15-20 minutes.
- Add the parmesan cheese, cook for another 2 minutes and you’re ready to serve.
Saffron Porcini Risotto