Layered Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese frosting. This is a sweet and spicy carrot cake recipe with pecans and spices. Cinnamon, cloves and some ginger and a pinch of white pepper for the extra spiciness. The shredded carrots give a smooth texture to the cake and the pecans make it crunch and give a tangy flavour. Cut the cake lengthwise with a cake cutter or a big knife, if you can trust your steady hands!
for the cakes
- 250gr. self-rising flour
- 125gr. butter, room temp.
- 2 medium sized carrots, shredded
- 80gr. pecans, chopped
- 120ml. milk
- 150gr. dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1tbsp vanilla
- 1tbsp cinnamon powder
- 1tbsp clove powder
- 1tbsp ginger powder
- a pinch of white pepper, optional
for the frosting
- 100gr. butter
- 200gr. cream cheese
- 300gr. icing sugar
- ¾tsp vanilla extract or 1/3 vanilla pod
- Cake cutter
- Preheat the oven, air 170 °C.
- In a large bowl mix the butter and sugar. Beat well.
- Add the eggs, one at a time.
- Add the milk, vanilla and spices.
- Add the flour gradually.
- Stir in the carrots and the pecans.
- Fill a baking form and bake for 40 minutes. Check by inserting a toothpick in the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, it’s ready.
- Wait till it cool down.
- Cut it in half with a cake cutter, or a knife.
- Spread frosting evenly on the bottom layer.
- Cover with the top layer and spread the remaining frosting.
- Decorate with some carrot shaped chocolate chips.
- Mix the butter and cream cheese in a large bowl
- Add the vanilla (extract or seeds).
- Add the icing sugar gradually.