I’ve tried making numerous different cake recipes, but there was always something that just didn’t seem right: too many eggs, too many ingredients, too complicated, too…meh! So how do you make the perfect cake? Oh, well… I just called my mum and got her basic cake recipe. So here it is, modified into a cupcake recipe and accompanied by a yummy cream cheese frosting.
for the cakes
- 250gr. self-rising flour
- 125gr. butter, room temp.
- 120ml. milk
- 200gr. sugar
- 2 eggs
- juice of 1½ limes
- 30gr. poppy seeds
for the frosting
- 100gr. butter
- 200gr. cream cheese
- 300gr. icing sugar
- zest of 1 lime
- ¾tsp vanilla extract or 1/3 vanilla pod
- a pinch of green food colouring, optional
- Preheat the oven, air 170 °C.
- In a large bowl mix the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs, one at a time.
- Add the milk and poppy seeds.
- Add the flour gradually.
- Finally, add the lime juice.
- Fill baking cups 2/3 full and bake for 18–20 minutes. Check by inserting a toothpick in the center of a cupcake. If it comes out clean, your cupcakes are ready.
- Wait til they cool down before decorating with the frosting.
- Mix the butter and cream cheese in a large bowl
- Add the vanilla (extract or seeds), lime zest and food colouring.
- Add the icing sugar gradually.