This is a great eggs benedict recipe with a twist. Replace the english muffins with beer crumpets – a very good dairy free variation of the original recipe – and the ham with thick slices of prosciutto. For the crumpets you will need egg rings, the non stick ones are always a better option.
For the beer crumpets – makes about 8 crumpets
- 120gr. beer at room temperature, I used a regular Amstel here
- 190gr. lukewarm water
- 1,5 tbsp dry yeast
- 250gr. flour
- 1tbsp salt
- 1tbsp sugar
- 1,5tbsp baking soda
- 20gr. butter
Utensils: egg rings
For the topping – for 4 crumpets, 2 servings
- 4 eggs
- 4 thick slices of prosciutto
- a handful of slices fresh onion or chives
For the hollandaise
- 1 egg white
- 80gr. melted butter
- 1,5tsp lemon juice or more to taste
- salt and black pepper or cayenne
Poaching the eggs
- Bring a large pot of water to simmer.
- Throw in the eggs one at a time and stir with a wooden spoon to help cook evenly.
- Cook for about 3-4 minutes and dip them in a bowl with cold water and ice cubes to stop the cooking.
- In the stand mixer bowl (or any big bowl) combine the beer, sugar, 120gr. of the water and the yeast and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Add the flour gradually while mixing in the stand mixer.
- Cover and let it sit for an hour minimum.
- Stir the baking soda in the remaining water and add to the dough.
- Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven, 120ºC
- Coat the inside of the rings with butter, place them on a skillet, spread some butter on the skillet too and cook on low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Store them in the oven to keep warm until serving.
- Melt the butter.
- Place the egg yolk in a small bowl and stir in slowly the butter.
- Add lemon to taste
- Salt and pepper
- Spread some hollandaise on each crumpet.
- Top with the prosciutto, then add the eggs, some more hollandaise and sprinkle the onions.
eggs benedict with beer crumpets