Let’s all agree to this: any potato recipe tastes better with sweet potatoes. Latest obsession is this sweet potato purée which is perfect with meat, chicken or on its own as a late night comfort bowl of love!
Depending on the desired consistency you can adjust the heavy cream accordingly, this recipe makes a rather smooth and creamy purée. For a lower fat diet replace the heavy cream with whole milk, warm it up on low heat and stir in some flour -about a tablespoon- to make it thick, then season with some salt and pepper and add it to the potatoes. Also cut down on the cheese – if you think that’s even possible.. The vegan version calls for soya milk and tofu cheese replacing the heavy cream and the parm and cheddar.
This recipe works perfectly with plain potatoes too. For some dinner inspiration, check out the beef tagliata with sweet potato purée and grilled vegetables here.
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 1,5kilos – 4pounds sweet potatoes – about two big potatoes
- 130ml – 1/2cup heavy cream
- 100gr – 1cup grated parmesan cheese
- 100gr – 1cup grated cheddar cheese
- 100gr – 1 stick butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt, freshly ground black pepper and cayenne pepper – to taste
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into small pieces.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot, cover with water – about a litter – and bring to boil. Lower the heat and let cook until the potatoes are soft enough to mass – about 20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and mash them until smooth.
- Place them again on low heat and add the cream gradually while stirring. Then add the grated cheeses, stir again till the cheddar melts.
- Season to taste and cook on low heat for 5 minutes.