Christmas in Greece is all about constantly eating Kourabiedes and Melomakarona for two weeks in a row in search of the ones that are better than your mother’s (or grandmother’s). They don’t exist, but you will keep trying…
So here is my mother’s kourabiedes recipe, that of course are the best you’ll ever have!
- 600gr. milk butter
- 1,1kg. all purpose flour
- 130gr. lye
- 2tbsp sugar
- 800gr. icing sugar
- 170gr. peeled almonds cut lengthwise in 4 and roasted in 1tsp butter
- How to make lye: Boil 3tbsp wood ashes in 1lt. of water for 5 minutes and filter it through a coffee filter.
- Mix the sugar with the butter in a mixer for about 15 minutes, till it gets white and fluffy.
- Add the lye and keep mixing.
- Add the flour gradually and knead with your hands.
- Add the almonds and keep kneading.
- Preheat oven, air 170°C.
- Form the kourabiedes and place them in a baking paper covered tray.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, till they start getting brown. Don’t over bake!
- While still hot, dust and cover with the icing sugar.
Kourabiedes (Greek Christmas cookies)