The original recipe calls for english muffin bread and ham. Sliced bread is a bit easier to find and most likely always in my fridge . I prefer prosciutto over ham or bacon, so I changed that too. Now, the hollandaise sauce is a challenge. The texture should be thick, like mayonnaise. To do that you need to use warm ingredients and add the butter as slowly as possible. So keep whisking, patience is rewarded!
For the Hollandaise sauce
- 1 yolk of a large egg
- 100gr. butter
- 2tbsp. lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- spring onion for garnish
For the main dish
- 4 eggs
- 2 slices of english muffin bread or toasted bread
- 4 slices of prosciutto (for the original recipe use ham)
- 50ml. white wine vinegar
- Melt the butter and set aside.
- In a small pan add the lemon juice, vinegar and tarragon and reduce to half at medium heat (if too lazy, skip this step and just add a tsp of each on step 3).
- Whisk the yolk for a few minutes, add a tablespoon of the lemon-vinegar mixture and whisk well.
- Add the butter gradually (the slower the better) and keep whisking till it gets creamy.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the eggs separately in small bowls.
- Heat the oven, air 200°C, place the prosciutto slices on baking sheet and let them cook for about 10 minutes, until they’re crispy. Remove the fat.
- In a large pot, bring water to boil, then lower the heat and as the water is shimmering, stir with a wooden spoon, creating a whirl.
- When the whirl slows down a bit, add one egg and let it cook for 3 minutes. Repeat with the rest.
- Heat the bread on a toaster or a small pan and cut it in half.
- Place the two slices of bread next to each other, add some sauce on top, add the prosciutto slices, the eggs, sauce and garnish with some spring onion.
[…] Eggs Benedict My Easy Gourmet […]
Eggs Benedict rates as one of my favourite breakfasts. If I do have a meat side, I prefer bacon over ham or smoked salmon, although I’m yet to try prosciutto with it.
I just love prosciutto, let me know if you try it
I love your blog
I have read this article and enjoyed it